Skip to main content
Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- Do not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- In cases of minors undergoing intravenous sedation, the responsible parent or guardian must accompany the minor to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose clothing with short sleeves, and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, follow the instructions given to you at the time of the pre-operative visit. Some medications will need to be stopped and your surgeon / surgical assistant will instruct you.
- Plan on somebody bringing you and staying in the office while the surgical procedure is being performed. It is highly advisable that you have somebody with you throughout the day at home.